Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Resuming Where We Left Off

First, I'm not quite sure why I haven't posted in 8 months. Although the timing of the abrupt stoppage was coincidentally around the time when 4th year rotations started. Thinking back, I have been alternating between busy and really really busy ever since rotations began. Work life does suck all the energy outta ya... The last thing I want to do when I finally get home after putting in my 9-10 hours at work is spend more time in the kitchen. 

So, less free time + much less energy = no cooking, and definitely no blogging.

But, I remembered why I started my blog in the first place (outlet source). And right now, I definitely need a distraction and a satisfying project in my life to take my whirling mind off of residency applications. Food + pics always places a warm, fuzzy feeling of accomplishment in me. 

I saw a picture of these individual portions of monkey bread on allrecipes.com (4th or 5th favorit-est website) yesterday. Had all the ingredients. Had a little bit of time. Was and have been craving sweets.  Sooo... I got my lazy butt off of the couch and peeled my eyes away from Big Bang Theory for a moment. Voila! Be warned, these go fast- I can probably eat all 6 in one sitting if I allowed myself!  



Monkey Bread in a Muffin Tin - modified from allrecipes.com 
(makes 6 muffins)

1 12 oz. can biscuit dough
1/4 cup white sugar
1-2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg (optional)

1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp. butter

  1. Preheat oven 375 degrees F. Line 6 muffin tins with paper liners. 
  2. Combine white sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Cut each biscuit into quarters, and thoroughly coat each piece of dough in cinnamon-sugar mixture. (Alternately, you can place the cinnamon-sugar in a large ziplock bag, add biscuit dough pieces, then shake to coat.) Place 6-7 pieces of dough in each muffin tin. 
  3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a bubbling simmer, stirring constantly, and heat until sugar is dissolved. Spoon mixture evenly over each muffin tin. 
  4. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until biscuit dough is lightly springy. 



1 comment:

  1. whoa... look who's back on blogger! Those look really good by the way. Tried monkey bread for the first time while in richmond, it was way fun to make...and amazingly way easier with a breadmaker! tasty too... but definitely not exactly your healthy treat :).

    ReplyDelete