Monday, October 7, 2013

Harvest Time Means Zucchini Bread Time

I seriously think whoever came up with zucchini in bread is a genius. It's the best way to eat your veggies!

More is better, right? I upped the grated zucchini from 2 cups to 4 cups, since I had an awfully large amount of zucchini to use up! To create a healthier baked good, I've heard of substituting applesauce for oil in bread recipes (carrot cake, banana bread, etc.), but I typically don't have applesauce on hand. Instead, I subbed plain yogurt for oil in this recipe and it turned out perfect! No on could taste any difference. Also, now that I'm living back home again, I gotta remember to cut down on the sugar for my hyper sweet-sensitive family! The original recipe is from Allrecipes... but I think my adaptation is healthier without sacrificing taste!


Zucchini Bread
modified from allrecipes.com

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
Heaping 1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans (8x4) or 24 muffin tins.
  2. Beat eggs, oil, yogurt, sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Add in 3 cups of flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and mix well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pans. 
  3. Topping: In a small bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mixture should be crumbly with the size of peas. Sprinkle topping over batter. 
  4. Bake for 40-60 minutes (shorter time for muffins), and until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment