Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Legit Chicken Katsu

This is a delicious, simple katsu recipe! My friend Ann shared it with me, and it tastes just like the restaurant version! 

Chicken Katsu

Chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
Egg, beaten
1/3 amount flour and 2/3 amount panko
Frying oil
Bulldog katsu sauce for dipping

1. Pound the chicken breasts with a meat mallet. Generously salt and pepper both sides of each chicken breast. 
2. Dip each breast in the egg mixture, then dredge each breast in the flour/panko mixture. Coat thoroughly. 
3. Heat frying oil in nonstick pan. Once oil is hot, place chicken breasts in oil. Flip breasts over halfway through and cook until there is no pink in the middle of the chicken. Cooking time may vary depending on thickness of chicken breast. 
4. Enjoy with katsu sauce over rice.

When I made this at home, I used peanut oil, which supposedly is healthier when frying. I used enough oil to cover the chicken breast when placed in the pan. Tongs are handy when placing and turning the chicken in the hot oil! Also, I used a paper towel to soak up any excess oil after pulling the chicken out the oil. 

The katsu sauce (shown below) is amazing; it tastes very similar to the sauce at Ichi Bento's! I was able find it at a local Asian store. 

BullDog Tonkatsu Sauce 10.1 oz





No comments:

Post a Comment