Friday, October 28, 2011

Baked Teriyaki Chicken

A easy and delicious main course for a big crowd or potluck! I'm sure you can also substitute Yoshida sauce for the homemade sauce if you're in a time crunch or don't have all the ingredients in your pantry.

Last time I made this, I doubled the sauce (you can't go wrong with extra sauce, right?). I froze the extra sauce in little containers; a week later I brushed some of the teriyaki sauce over salmon, baked it, and that made for a delicious and no-fuss dinner on a busy school night! I also didn't have cider vinegar (I broke the glass bottle in my garage while taking groceries out of my car- my garage smelled vinegar-y for weeks!). So, I did some research on vinegars- cider vinegar has a fruity smell/taste, so straight white diluted vinegar won't be a good substitute. Red wine vinegar diluted with equal amounts of water seemed to be the consensus on how to sub for cider vinegar, which is what I did and the sauce tasted fine. 

Baked Teriyaki Chicken
from Allrecipes.com

1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. cold water
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ginger, minced
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
6 skinless chicken thighs 

Directions:
  1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine cornstarch, cold water, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and bubbles. 
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  3. Place chicken thighs on a lightly greasted 9x13 baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken pieces. 
  4. Cover pan lightly with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Flip chicken pieces over and bake for another 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

1 comment:

  1. I had that salmon and it was better than some restaurants. Good job!

    ReplyDelete