Sunday, March 20, 2011

Thai. Curry. Simple.


Had a lovely lunch with friend at Thai Curry Simple recenly... courtesy of Shu's raves! So glad I had a good friend to share a spontaneous plus delicious lunch with!

Where to begin?! I had great expectations going in, after the amazing Yelp reviewers' comments. I was definitely looking forward cheap, GOOD eats, and I was not disappointed. First off, there are $5 curries (noodle dishes are not much more expensive at $6). Let me repeat: $5 CURRY! Even cheaper than any run-of-the-mill Thai place along the Ave. around UW! And I haven't even began to describe the Roti!

Service was fast and friendly. The lady working chatted me up about Thai Curry Simple's packaged Pad Thai meals that you can buy, take home, cook, enjoy. She assured me it was "very easy, noodles and sauce included!" I may need to take her up on her word next time and try making Pad Thai at home. I've had a couple of failed experiences at making Pad See Ew at home, so I'll be interested in how this compares. Another sign of great service: our waters were refilled very frequently, and I saw the owner talking to many of the customers who seemed to be regulars!

Simple is the key word. The menu is not extensive, focusing on curries and a few noodles dishes (I saw Pad Kee Mao and Pad Thai, and that was about it). The menu is written on blackboards hanging on the wall, you order as you come in, and then find a spot to sit in the tiny restaurant. Luckily, there were plenty of tables available on Friday around 1pm, but I imagine seating could be a problem during a busy lunch rush. I ordered Green Chicken Curry and friend ordered Massamun Chicken Curry. There are also Tofu Curry specials for each day of the week that seem very popular. Curries came out quickly, hot and served over rice (you have a choice of white or brown rice when you order). While the Green Curry was labelled "spicy", I fared quite well! I loved the plentiful bamboo and eggplant chunks in the curry and it wasn't too spicy for me! I was very close to finishing my dish... but I had to save some room for the dessert roti, so ended up packing away a couple of bites to take home (which ended up being dinner).

ROTI! Yummy! Imagine fried flaky dough filled with sugar and condensed milk. We had to order one of the famous roti's for dessert. There are quite a few variations on fillings (banana, strawberry, etc.) that you can try. I was a bit surprised when our roti arrived: it was different from the picture, because the dough was all rolled up rather than flat and open like a pancake. So, think crepe instead of pancake. The two of us each got 3 pieces of heavenly goodness! Almost like a donut, but more delicate. It had the perfect amount of sweetness. Next time, I may need my own roti (no sharing!).

This was the perfect TGIF, end-of-finals, lunch with a friend. Cheap, infinitely satisfying, completely enjoyable. I truly can't think of a single complaint about Thai Curry Simple! I am looking forward to trying one of their noodle dishes in the near future! Next week, anyone?

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Your enthusiasm and exclamations are killing me. I can just hear you in my head and it’s scary. I believe that’s a compliment to some degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol that's just how I talk... and I even try to limit my exclamations!!! hahaha

    I want my enthusiasm to make you want to go there, not turn you off!

    ReplyDelete