Monday, May 30, 2011

Homemade Salad Dressing


For our Memorial weekend BBQ, I tried out a Barefoot Contessa recipe as seen on TV. This is the first TV recipe that I have actually replicated! Result? Easy, yummy salad dressing that doesn't require any special ingredients! I can confidently say I won't be buying salad dressing (often) anymore (unless it's poppyseed or honey mustard, that is) in the future! This recipe really works out as an all-purpose salad dressing for any type of salad and anytime.

However... I managed to lose this holy grail recipe, and can no longer find it online! Do you know how many Barefoot Contessa "salad dressing" recipes are out there??? Too many... Below I've listed my recollection of the ingredients and estimations of the quantities. Taste, test, adjust to your own liking!


Barefoot Contessa All-Purpose Salad Dressing 

3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. orange zest
2 tbsp. orange juice
Sea salt and pepper
1/3 c. olive oil

Directions:
  1. Stir together apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, orange zest, and orange juice. Season liberally with sea salt and pepper.
  2. Whisk in olive oil slowly to emulsify mixture. 

As Rachael Ray would say... How easy was that?! If you do make extra salad dressing, keep it in the fridge and make sure to shake it up before using. The lipophilic olive oil tends to separate from the hydrophilic particles (that's some medicinal chemistry for you!). Your turn... and let me know the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment