Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Musings on Gardening

If a baby is anything like a garden, he (or she) would be unfed, unwatered, all-around neglected for days at a time. It would be forgotten and cast aside if I had a major test to study for or had a long day at work. Even if the "baby" cried for attention, I would most likely put off feeding him or her until a time that is more convenient for more arose.

Thank goodness I don't have a baby! 

My (poor) garden is a lens into my own habits and quirks. I have found out that I am very much the "one-track mind" type. During test season, I live and breathe studying (with numerous breaks interspersed); from the moment I wake up to the last thing I do before I go to sleep, my mind screams "TEST!!!" (Yes, with 3 exclamation marks...) Work can also drain the energy right out of me- 8 hour work shifts turn into 10 hour days with the commute, which leaves little time for cooking/eating/fun/errands, much less tending a garden. 

Therefore, my garden has disintegrated into some disarray. The seeds I had sowed outside have fared alright, survived if not thrived. Even if I forget to water the plants (which is often), the sky provides much needed moisture. Yet, the plants have grown wild, some even sprouting flowers. Overgrown, old plants are usually not very edible, to my dismay. Indoors, I have a pile of wilting lettuce sprouts that are pretty much dead due to lack of adequate sunlight and no watering. My only success story is my small basil plant that provides delicious, fresh basil, but not enough to make pesto. 

All in all, plants are haaard work! They require daily care- I cannot simply add lots of water in spurts or only weed and trim plants every so often. Gardening really isn't a hobby- a hobby is something that I can pick up and put aside in my spare time (i.e. knitting). Instead, gardening involves a commitment and a change in my lifestyle. Other people have dogs or cats or fish, I have plants to care for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment