Thursday, June 2, 2011

Perfect Dinner? Denied!

I've been impatiently waiting for this Maggiano's dinner for the past 2 weeks. Daydreaming about all-you-can-eat calamari, stuffed mushrooms, salad, pasta while in class. Obsessively checking out Maggiano's menu days beforehand. The night was going to be perfect, with the perfect dress, perfect ride (only 10 minutes late! hehe), beautiful people, and decadent food. 

Everything was perfect, except my stomach. As I saw plates and plates of heaping hot food placed before me, I could only weakly nibble. As much as I drooled over the calamari and my favorite Rigatoni D pasta, my stomach refused to cooperate. Clenching in resistance every time I forced down a bite of creamy pasta or Parmesan-encrusted mushroom caps, my stomach overcame any desire for food. The visceral pain is sharp and acute- yet, there was also a chronic throbbing that intensified through the 2 hour dinner. The mental disappointment was just as great- our much-hyped ASCP end-of-the-year in-and-out dinner was completely wasted on me. Yet the fact was, the more I wanted to eat, the more my stomach denied me. Warm water, slow bites, good conversation- none distracted the pain. 

It felt like labor- and I didn't want any of it! Chronic, no end in sight, intensifying contractive pain. By the end of the night, it took all my concentration and willpower to stand up tall and smile for pictures outside. It felt like my organs were being shredded by acidic gastric juices. 

Perfect dinner- thwarted again! 

1 comment: