Monday, November 22, 2010

Apple Crisp-y

I can cross off one item off my baking list! I made apple crisp last week with leftover apples that have been sitting in my fridge. It's one of the easiest desserts to make and it still garners lots of "oohs" and "ahhs." Basically, it's as delicious as apple pie with half the work! I used to make apple crisps with my parents back at home home (that is, Vancouver). My dad can't pronounce "crisp", he always ends up saying "apple crispy." While these apples burnt till crispy, they're still pretty darn good!

Apple Crisp

6 apples, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup granulated, white sugar
1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon

2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 cup flour
2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter, softened

  1. Mix white sugar, 1 tbsp. flour, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Add apple slices and toss well until apples are coated in sugar mixture.
  2. Combine oats, remaining flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut softened butter into oat mixture. Mixture should be crumbly (not doughy). 
  3. Spray cooking spray on bottom and sides of 9x13 pan. Sprinkle half of oat mixture into pan. Place apples on top, and then sprinkle the rest of the oat mixture on top of the apples. 
  4. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. 
I used a mixture of Fuji, Granny Smith, Gala apples, even a Red Delicious. Granny Smiths are perfect baking apples that don't turn out too soggy, while other types of apples can add more sweetness or tartness. I didn't bother peeling the skins of the apples, and no one will notice once baked in a crisp. In fact, I actually think leaving the apple skin adds a nice bit of color to the dessert! I don't peel apple skins when I make apple pie either, and the red and greens make quite a pretty display. 

I have to admit, I forgot the butter when making my oat mixture. It wasn't till I had completely assembled the crisp (all 3 layers) that I remember omitting butter! So I hurriedly melted my butter and drizzled it on top, and the crisp still turned out fine! There were a couple of dry, sandy regions, but they were hardly noticeable. But be warned, don't forget the butter! I was in too much of a hurry and too excited to get the crisp into the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment