Saturday, November 13, 2010

Reckless or Brave?

While waiting for the bus in downtown Seattle today, I asked myself whether I was brave or being reckless? It was dark around 5:30pm when I left work, and the area where I catch the bus home is pretty sketchy. I waited about 15 minutes for the bus. I figured, there were still quite a few people around, I couldn't get mugged or attacked, right? Yet, while I was waiting, an older lady in a wheelchair stopped beside me at the bus stop and mumbled, "It is scary here!" Her statement made me analyze my situation a bit more closely.

I bus from Harborview to James and 3rd. The stop at Harborview is relatively safe, since it is directly across from the ER and there are always security and police officers stationed at the entrance of the ER. I then transfer downtown. Usually, during the weekdays, buses run very frequently, so I never end up waiting more than 10 minutes for a bus to Lake City. However, Saturdays, only one bus goes to my home and it runs only twice an hour. I waited for about 15-20 minutes today. There were some dim street lights, however, James and 3rd is definitely not comparable to the bustle and crowds of people in the downtown shopping district a few blocks north. Across the street from the bus stop is a Saigon pho place, and today there was a homeless guy camped out in the doorway, trying to stay dry. I saw a few homeless people pushing carts and garbage bags walking around. As I shivered in the cold while waiting for the bus, I can't believe some people don't have a dry, warm place to go home to. It really made me grateful for the basic things in life that I often take for granted. I'm always yearning for more cooking utensils or a nicer appliances, just more stuff in general. Yet, some people don't even have shelter or regular meals.

During the summer, when I bussed more often, I saw more... colorful characters while waiting for the bus. People shouting and cussing, at everyone and anyone who walked past. An angry, obese woman in a wheelchair particularly stuck out- she was yelling and cursing on the street corner. Pedestrians generally skittered on by, avoiding her, keeping eyes straight ahead.

So far, I have not been approached by anyone. I haven't seen an muggings or any criminal activity. When I stood waiting for the bus today, I didn't feel serious danger. I am thinking about getting pepper spray, just in case, you know. My two roommates from college both carried pepper spray just to walk in the U-district. I'll need to know how to use pepper spray first... I don't want it ending up being a weapon against myself.

Well, I got home safely, so maybe downtown Seattle is not too dangerous after all. Or, God has been keeping me safe all this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment