Friday, January 28, 2011

Calorie Counting?!

I've recently downloaded a new app for my iTouch (after several of my friends have tried it)- MyFitnessPal. Basically it's a high-tech food diary; it's suppose to keep you informed and accountable for all the calories you eat! It was very cool the first day. I've never calorie counted before, just assuming I ate around or even less than the daily suggested allowances. On Thursday, I logged everything I ate. A few mango slices here and there racked up 120 calories... a chocolate truffle weighed in at 52 calories. But what REALLY put me over the limit were the 3 chocolate chip cookies I indulged in. MyFitnessPal told me that a homemade chocolate chip cookies was 100 calories each! So 3 cookies = 300 calories, or about 1/5 of what MyFitnessPal suggested I eat in a day (1530 calories based on current weight, height, activity level, etc.).

I refused to believe my homemade, rather puny (my cookies aren't the huge Starbucks kind) chocolate chip cookies could possibly be 100 calories each. So I tried another method on MyFitnessPal. Rather than just randomly selecting the generic "chocolate chip cookie", I inputted my ingredients on the app and calculated the total calories based on the individual calories of each ingredient. The total calories per cookie came out to be... 142 calories, even higher!

Still, I had hope- I assumed that MyFitnessPal naturally rounds UP on the calories on each ingredient (it IS a weight-loss app after all), so the exact calories may still be a bit lower. As soon as I got home, I rummaged through my kitchen, lining up all the ingredients I used with their nutrition labels.

What I found out: 
3/4 cup butter (I didn't think that was too much butter at all! I've seen worse...) = 1200 calories
1 cup brown sugar = 720 calories
1/2 white sugar = 360 calories
1 egg = 70 calories
1 egg yolk (didn't have an exact number so assumed) = about 50 calories
2 cups flour = 600 calories
1 1/2 cups Nestle chocolate chips = 1680 calories (ouch!)

Total = 4650 calories
Total cookies made = about 36
Calories per cookie = 129 calories per Lydia's chocolate chip cookie

Not as bad as 142 calories, but still higher than the generic 100 calories/cookie I started with! I admitted defeat, and decided... I need to make my cookies smaller, and hence more cookies next time! More cookies per batch = less calories per cookie!

2 comments:

  1. this isn't the one i downloaded, but pretty similar:p. ...and i don't think you need to count calories:-p ....but it is good to eat healthy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahaha...yea I'm ready to give up and not feel guilty for every sugary treat I indulge in!

    ReplyDelete