Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sesame Noodles

I needed a fast and easy meal for lunch today. I pulled up a sesame noodle recipe from my Allrecipes recipe box, but made some modifications to make it even easier! It's the perfect one-bowl meal, in fact I just ate it straight out of the mixing bowl today. Yummy! Also, if you don't have one ingredient, you can substitute something else! For example, I used the Thai Kitchen's Pad Thai Sauce (instead of chili sauce) because I had it available in my fridge. You can try Sriracha or skip the chili sauce altogether, if you don't have it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the dish (and perhaps I was just really hungry)! I usually like to follow recipes (and other reviewers suggestions- I read every review possible before making a new recipe!) exactly, but today I put on my chef's hat and made it up on the go! My brother would be proud!

Also, to make it into a more complete meal, try adding shrimp or shredded chicken and some veggies. This recipe is extremely versatile!

Sesame Noodles (serves one)

3 oz. package linguine noodles
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp chili sauce (I used Thai Kitchen's Original Pad Thai Sauce since I had it on hand)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp salt
2 green onions, sliced
1 tsp sesame seeds

Directions:

  1. Cook noodles according to package directions. 
  2. While noodles are boiling, in a medium-size mixing bowl combine sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, chili sauce, cayenne pepper, and salt. Whisk vigorously to combine oil and other ingredients. 
  3. Drain noodles, and toss hot noodles with sauce. Sprinkle green onions and sesame seeds on top of noodles before serving. 
  4. Optional: add cooked shrimp, shredded rotisserie chicken, and/or stir-fry veggies such as broccoli, snow peas, baby corn, mushrooms, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment