Saturday, April 23, 2011

Varlamos? Yes, Please!

Varlamos is a SCA tradition. If you haven't heard of it or been there yet, I have failed you as a friend. Perfect for group gatherings, Varlamos on Monday nights has half-off prices on their calzones. Must expound on the calzones... Varlamos is renowned for their calzones that are as big as a football (not an overexaggeration!), filled with whatever your little heart desires! The salad that comes with the calzone is pretty darn tasty too... with generous amounts of shredded mozzarella cheese and a delicious honey mustard dressing (or whatever dressing you prefer instead). Tip: If you don't like olives, let the waiter know or ask to have it on the side.

I have pretty much only tried the calzone and salad at Varlamos, and I don't intend to change that anytime soon. I always go for the make-your-own calzone, which allows me the flexibility to choose my own toppings. Pineapple is yummy (and will make your calzone sauce runny), BBQ chicken, and mushrooms. Or maybe red bell peppers, sausage, and spinach. That might be your hardest decision of the week... what to include in your calzone! Sometimes the waiter does mess up the orders, especially if there's a big group and everyone gets a calzone. Check your calzone to make sure you got what you ordered, and not your neighbor's calzone!

Eating calzones can be messy, so be warned! You're better off just deciding to be messy and eating with your hands. Pick up the calzone and chow down! Usually, I know I won't be able to finish the whole thing, so I slice my calzone in half- eat half at dinner and save the other half for lunch tomorrow. Don't be too greedy and go for 2 calzones in a sitting... you will have negative consequences! (Ask Michael if you don't believe me... heroic guy finished 2 calzones within probably an hour, and barely lived to tell the tale.)

The food is great. The price is right. The location is right by UW, so super convenient for students. What's there NOT to like? Book a date with me to Varlamos, and I (probably) won't turn you down!

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Recent dinner with not-so-small small group of girls!
Leftovers- this was half of the football calzone!

1 comment: