Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Birthday Cake

My dad's birthday is coming up, and I still haven't made the crucial decision on what cake to make for him! I want to know what is your go-to cake recipe, for anything- birthdays, graduations, having people over, parties. Do you have a cake recipe that you can whip out and it turns out delicious every single time?

Honestly, I don't have a go-to cake, that I know I will make every time for a birthday or event. I have made a few successful cakes in the past... cheesecakes, muffins, banana bread, carrot cake, a easy chocolate cake, brownies. But for me, birthday cake is simple and boils down to: yummy cake (usually vanilla or chocolate) and beautiful frosting.

My problem is I don't have the patience for frosting. I'm not a huge fan of the concept of frosting. First, it's usually overly sugary and too sweet, and secondly, it's a pain to frost a cake. So, frosting = not delicious and takes too long, a bad combo for me. So, in the past, I've tried to stay away from frosting and instead use a simple ganache or simply dusting with powdered sugar.

However, this past weekend, a sister at church brought in these divine cupcakes with really pretty frosting. She used a cream cheese frosting, which was an absolute hit! I was literally licking my fingers, it was that good! And, I learned the secret to beautiful frosting is all in the tip, the tip of the frosting bag that is. She made it look easy and nummy! It was inspiring actually- makes me want to give frosting another try.

After some brainstorming, my cake options currently are:
  1. Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
  2. Fruit Trifle with Pound Cake and Whipped Cream
  3. Fruit Tart (similar to what I made last week)
  4. Cheesecake, plain and simple
I will appreciate any thoughts on what I should make for my dad's birthday this weekend! Vote or submit your own suggestions! 

2 comments:

  1. If it were my birthday, i would choose the fruit tart, but it's not! or maybe fruit trifle. yum!

    Doesn't your dad love cheesecake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....my go to is always carrot cake.:) so yummy and moist...and who can resist the deliciousness of cream cheese frosting. plus...you've included vegetables...so technically somewhat healthy ;-).

    ReplyDelete