Friday, February 25, 2011

TGIF... and Homemade Granola Bars

Today was one of those days... Alarm didn't go off (phone ran out of batteries in the middle of the night) and missed my first class. Was deceived by the brilliant blue skies and sunshine, and was hit by frigid cold as I walked out of the house. Then as I got on the bus, I realized I left my bus pass at home in the other jacket pocket. And of course, I skipped breakfast and felt light-headed all morning in class.

Buuut, all in all, no damage done! Got class notes from awesome friend. Needed to brave the cold for only short periods of time. My winning smile and great excuse ("uh... I left my bus pass at home today... can I still please get on the bus???") got me TWO free bus rides (to school and back!).

Friday afternoons are awesome! It's been my tradition since high school... after school on Fridays are reserved for relaxing, more relaxing, and fun! No homework, no studying, no stress allowed! Usually I squander the time with napping, catching up on Grey's Anatomy, baking, cleaning (I'm weird I know... I choose to clean in my free time!).

Really flexible and easy granola bar recipe below! Basically, requires 3 cups of oats and 3 1/2 cups of anything you would like! Suggestions for the "3 1/2 cups of anything" include: dried fruit (i.e. cranberries, raisins), nuts (i.e. sliced almonds), chocolate chips, trail mix, granola, coconut, etc. Possibilities endless! Personalize with your favorite ingredients.

Made-From-Scratch Granola Bars (Lyd's Version)

3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup granola
1/2 cup coconut flakes
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk

Directions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray. 
  2. Mix oats, almonds, chocolate chips, granola, and coconut flakes until thoroughly mixed. Stir in melted butter and condensed milk in large bowl. (Tip #1: heat can of condensed milk in warm water before opening, so easily to mix). 
  3. Press and flatten mixture into prepared pan. (Tip #2: Use waxed paper to press down on mixture to avoid sticky hands!) 
  4. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars. Cool completely. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice - using granola in your granola bars. :) And you do have a winning smile.

    ReplyDelete